June 11, 2009

The Cost Conundrum (Update 3)

The New Yorker looks at an example of the craziness that is the U.S. health care system:

The Cost Conundrum
by Atul Gawande
...

McAllen (Texas) calls itself the Square Dance Capital of the World. "Lonesome Dove" was set around here.

McAllen has another distinction, too: it is one of the most expensive health-care markets in the country. Only Miami—which has much higher labor and living costs—spends more per person on health care. In 2006, Medicare spent fifteen thousand dollars per enrollee here, almost twice the national average. The income per capita is twelve thousand dollars. In other words, Medicare spends three thousand dollars more per person here than the average person earns.

Article


Update 1: Following on this news comes a letter from my health insurance carrier. That private health insurance company has written to inform me that it has decided to limit my choice of pharmacy. Instead, they have formed an exclusive arrangement with Accredo and Walgreens in order to provide, and I quote, "excellent service" and "greater convenience."

Thank gawd, it's SO about time. Because Walgreens is located a whole block closer to my house than my current pharmacy where I've been forced to do business for the last 10 years.

Update 2:
So Premera gave me two numbers to call (at least it was toll free). I have a choice between Accredo and Walgreens (then how is the arrangement "exclusive"?). One turned out to be a general public number with a robot. No thanks.

The other number was picked up by an actual person; but it was clear they had no idea of their special relationship with Premera. I was kept on hold while she read something, then sought instructions from a supervisor. Then she took down my doctor's name and number so they can bother her too. I suppose they're going to have to call me back to get my address, which they'll need if they're going to ship me the prescription.

All I have to say is keep up the good work, guys. Much more of this "excellence" and "convenience," and even more Americans will be on board with single payer.

Update 3
(6/19): My prescription arrived today, by UPS. The box was crammed full of non-recyclable materials, including a massive styrofoam 'vault.' Grrrrrrr. I called the service, who passed me to a pharmacist, who first said he would connect me to their (alleged) Green Team, but then couldn't remember who was on that team -- could he have them call me back? They haven't.

No comments: